EUROPE ON SCREEN RETURNS WITH VIRTUAL LINEUP OF 54 FILMS AND SPECIAL EVENTS
Including 53 films from 25 European nations and one collection of Indonesian short films from the EOS Short Film Pitching Project (SFPP) 2020 winners.
The 21st Europe on Screen (EOS), Europe Union (EU) Film Festival, returns online on 15-27 September 2021. The festival will screen 54 films this year, including 53 films from 25 European nations and one collection of Indonesian short films from the EOS Short Film Pitching Project (SFPP) 2020 winners.
Just like last year, all films could be watched for free via festivalscope.com and will be accessible for audiences in all parts of Indonesia.
“For the second year in a row, we will be hosting this year’s 21st edition virtually while preserving the quality of the festival with films and filmmakers aplenty. We are delighted and ready to showcase the best of European cinema to audiences all across Indonesia,” said Margus Solnson, Chargé d’Affaires, a.i. of the EU Delegation to Indonesia.
EOS CO-Festival Director Nauval Yazid said that they are happy to see the enthusiasm towards the festival. Especially since they have had to shift to being an online festival since last year because of the pandemic.
The festival will debut on September 15, 2021, with Hamy Ramezan's moving family drama "Any Day Now”. It will end on September 27, 2021, with a stirring musical documentary from Italy as a closing film, Anita Rivalori's "We Are the Thousand”.
Instagram live sessions
As part of its “Road to EOS 2021” initiative, EOS has hosted a series of Instagram Live sessions with Indonesian and European film practitioners sharing their experiences in the worldwide film industry.
“This year, we also open opportunities for film students and for the public to participate and learn about the film industry through our Instagram Live session and workshops in the Road to EOS programs,” added EOS CO-Festival Director Meninaputri Wismurti.
Since July 2021, EOS has hosted a series of Instagram Live sessions with local and international film industry figures. Here are a few examples:
- Marie Vermeinen, Festival Director Elles Tournent Women’s Film Festival;
- Peter Rorvik, Festival Director EU Film Festival South Africa;
- Hiroko Takebe, Festival Coordinator EU Film Days Festival Tokyo;
- Tumpal Tampubolon, director, writer, jury member of Europe on Screen Short Film Pitching Project 2020;
- Enrico Vannucci, selection committee of Locarno Film Festival.
This year's EOS, in collaboration with Cineuropa, will also host three film workshops from September 6 to 14, 2021, with the following members:
- Acting coaching with Vincent Riotta (England), 6-7 September 2021 at 14.00 WIB.
Filmography: House of Gucci (2021), Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021), The Two Popes (2019)
- Film development with Alessandra Pastore (Italy), 8-11 September 2021 at 14.00 WIB.
Known as a member of European Film Academy, founder and manager of LAND (Local Audiovisual Network & Development)
- Editing with Cedric Zoenen (Belgia), 13-14 September 2021 at 14.00 WIB.
Filmography: Valley of Souls (2019), Corps (2016), La nuit qu’on suppose (2013).
View this post on Instagram
Through its Short Film Pitching Project (SFPP), a program that provides partial production funding for young filmmakers, EOS continues to promote the Indonesian film industry and the development of the next generation of Indonesian filmmakers.
Since its inception in 2018, the EOS SFPP has produced excellent short films that have been screened at international and national film festivals. The number of entries for SFPP 2021 exceeds expectations, with entries coming from all throughout Indonesia.
A shortlist of eight SFPP candidates will be asked to propose their short film concepts to a jury panel of local film experts during EOS 2021. Three winning projects will be awarded partial production funds.
The jury members for this year’s SFPP are three Indonesian award-winning film professionals.
- Kamila Andini, director of “Sekala Niskala”, awarded Grand Prix of the Generation Kplus International Jury at the Berlinale International Film Festival in 2018;
- Yosep Anggi Noen, director of “The Sciences of Fictions”, awarded Golden Leopard-Special Mention at the Locarno International Film Festival in 2019;
- Edwin Nazir, producer of “The Science of Fictions” which was screened at the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2020.
The pitching session will be open to the public and held on Friday, 24 September 2021 at 09.00 WIB.
“There are more opportunities to make a film, from pitching forums, workshops, and other newly developed means that are technology-friendly. The challenge is to create a more relevant story and to elaborate diverse storytelling in Indonesian short films,” said Yosep Anggi Noen.
View this post on Instagram
Here are the eight shortlisted entries for SFPP 2021:
- Bibir Merah Siapa yang Punya, Pontianak;
- Catch to Release, Jakarta;
- Frikadeller, Bandung;
- Irama Rama, Surabaya;
- Mr Boulanger, Jakarta;
- Potion 77, Jakarta;
- Santa Koes, South Tangerang;
- What Ceti Does (Riwayat Ceti), Bogor.
For more information, access www.europeonscreen.org. You could also obtain the festival schedule and catalog there. Always check the age rating before watching the films.
#THE S MEDIA #Media Milenial #Europe on Screen #Europe Union #Film Festival